Work permits for TR to PR applicants
Work permits for TR to PR applicants can now be issued until December 31, 2024. The new public policy allows TR to PR applicants to apply for open work permits for themselves as well as for their family members regardless of whether or not they are currently residing in Canada with the applicant.
To be eligible for an open work permit, applicants and their family members must meet the following requirements:
- Be in status, or
- Be under implied status, or
- Be eligible for restoration of status.
- Their work permit must be expiring in 4 months.
- They have received acknowledgement of receipt letter confirming that immigration Canada has there permanent residence application in process under one of the TR to PR streams.
TR to PR stands for Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident Pathway. The program was open in 2021 between May and November.
The intake caps for the following 6 streams were set at:
- 20,000 for health care workers, 3
- 30,000 for essential non-health care workers,
- 40,000 for international graduates, as well as
- unlimited quota for 3 additional streams for French-speaking workers.
Additionally, a family member will be eligible for an open work permit if they were included as an accompanying family member in the application for permanent residence.
Furthermore, according to the statement made by the Minister of Immigration on June 11, 2022, the Government of Canada is preparing a new program similar to TR to PR.
The new program is not going to be identical to the 2021 version. The new program will have streams for both international graduates and temporary foreign workers and, according to the Minister, will be a permanent pathway.
For more detailed information, please feel free to contact our office or complete our online assessment questionnaire: On-line Assessment Questionnaire