Work permits are now available for TR to PR applicants
Work permits are now available for TR to PR applicants. On July 15, 2021, Immigration Canada announced that individuals who have applied for Permanent Residence under Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident (TR to PR) pathway, may now apply for an open work permit. This new work permit program will start accepting applications on July 26, 2021.
One of the requirements of the TR to PR public policy is that applicants must be employed by a Canadian company both at the time their application is made and at the time a decision is made. In other words, the applicants must maintain their legal temporary resident status in Canada throughout the process.
In order to be eligible under this one-time open work permit program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a pending TR to PR application.
- Had a valid work permit, were legally employed, and met the language requirements when you applied under TR to PR public policy.
- Your current work permit will expire in the next four months.
- Have a valid temporary status in Canada or be eligible for restoration of status at the time you apply for the new work permit.
- Physically reside in Canada.
Your accompanying family members may also benefit from this one-time opportunity and concurrently apply for their status extensions. Your new work permit and your accompanying family members’ temporary resident status can be extended until December 31, 2022, subject to your passport validity.
For more information about the work permit program, please contact our office.