Immigration News

The latest from Pacific Canada Immigration Inc.

Open work permits for sponsored spouses

Open work permits for sponsored spouses have always been one of the most important factors for the sponsor and the person being sponsor to consider before they can decide as to where to submit their application: inside or outside Canada. The recent decision by Immigration Canada (IRCC) to extend the open work permit pilot program until December 21, 2017, will help many make that decision in favour of submitting their application inside Canada.

The eligibility requirements remain essentially the same. The applicant must:

  1. be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada
  2. be sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
  3. have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker), and
  4. reside at the same address as their sponsor.