Immigration News

The latest from Pacific Canada Immigration Inc.

Bridging work permit application and restoration of status

Bridging work permit application and restoration of status issues are frequently a source of confusion. To clarify the issue, we would like to remind you of the current CIC policy. 

To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, a foreign worker in Canada must satisfy the following requirements:

  • you are currently in Canada;
  • you have a valid work permit that is due to expire within four months;
  • you are the principal applicant in a permanent residence application under the Federal Skilled Worker Class, Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, or the Provincial Nominee Program Class (only if there is no indication in the nomination letter that employment restrictions exist);
  • you have received a positive eligibility assessment on your permanent residence application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
  • you have applied for an open work permit.

The following foreign worker do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

  • if you are in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt) situations;
  • if your status has expired and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status;
  • if your work permit is valid for longer than four months and/or you have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;
  • if you are applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry;
  • spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant;
  • provincial nominees who have not submitted a copy of their nomination letter with the application for a bridging work permit, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates employment restrictions.

Last updated: 08.02.2015