BC PNP discontinues awarding points for occupations in the High Demand Occupations List
On March 10, 2022, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs announced that B.C. is responding to the crucial need for more healthcare workers and early childhood educators (ECEs) by implementing changes to the B.C. Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) Skills Immigration stream to prioritize these occupations and increases support for the care economy.
Key changes, effective March 10, 2022, include:
- Targeted invitations to apply will give priority access to select occupations in the care economy, specifically registrants whose occupation is on a pre-determined list of in-demand health occupations as well as early childhood educators.
- Healthcare assistants and dental assistants have been added to the Entry Level and Semi-Skilled category as eligible occupations.
- Targeted invitations to apply (priority access) replaces the registration points awarded for high demand occupations in the Labour Market Outlook.
- Periodic general draws will be conducted for other skilled and semi-skilled workers who meet program criteria.
- Invitations to apply can be based on various factors that support B.C. government priorities.
- The Health Care Professional category has been replaced with the Health Authority category and is open to all occupations employed by a health authority.
- An overview of Strategic Priorities & Initiatives has been added to the BC PNP website.
- There are no changes to BC PNP Tech.
- Workers in management occupations (grouped under Skill Type 0 in the NOC) may only register/apply under Skilled Worker categories.
- Management occupations are not eligible under the International Graduates categories.
- The requirement of two years directly related experience under the Skilled Worker category is replaced with two years of skilled experience.
- Employer requirements are updated with new or clarified conditions.
- Other changes to the BC PNP Skills Immigration categories include clarifying or adjusting criteria, and updating definitions.
This section contains the lists of priority occupations that may be invited to apply in periodic targeted draws.
BC PNP Tech Occupations
0131 Telecommunication carriers managers
0213 Computer and information systems managers
0512 Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
2131 Civil engineers
2132 Mechanical engineers
2133 Electrical and electronics engineers
2134 Chemical engineers
2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
2171 Information systems analysts and consultants
2172 Database analysts and data administrators
2173 Software engineers and designers
2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
2175 Web designers and developers
2221 Biological technologists and technicians
2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
2242 Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)
2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
2281 Computer network technicians
2282 User support technicians
2283 Information systems testing technicians
5121 Authors and writers
5125 Translators, terminologists and interpreters
5224 Broadcast technicians
5225 Audio and video recording technicians
5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
6221 Technical sales specialists – wholesale trade
Care economy: Healthcare occupations
0311 Managers in healthcare
3011 Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors
3012 Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
3111 Specialist physicians
3112 General practitioners and family physicians
3124 Allied primary health practitioners
3125 Other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treating
3132 Dietitians and nutritionists
3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
3143 Occupational therapists
3144 Other professional occupations in therapy and assessment
3211 Medical laboratory technologists
3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
3215 Medical radiation technologists
3216 Medical sonographers
3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.
3219 Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
3222 Dental hygienists and dental therapists
3223 Dental technologists, technicians and laboratory assistants
3232 Practitioners of natural healing
3233 Licensed practical nurses
3234 Paramedical occupations
3237 Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment
3411 Dental assistants
3413 Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates*
4152 Social workers
4153 Family, marriage and other related counsellors
4212 Social and community service workers
*For the purposes of the BC PNP, only health care assistants / health care aides are eligible under NOC 3413.
Care economy: Childcare occupations
4214 Early Childhood Educators